Touch Rugby League (TRL)

Gallagher is extremely proud to be appointed as the risk management and insurance broker to Touch Rugby League (TRL) franchises across Australia.

Gallagher has been working with the sporting industry for more than 30 years. This experience has enabled Gallagher to develop insurance risk mitigation programmes that identify and address physical, legal and financial exposures specific to the sport of Touch Rugby League.

We are committed to aligning our services with the TRL community, assisting to achieve your goals and objectives with the least amount of impact on your day to day activities.

Find out more
Let our dedicated client services team talk to you about insurance and risk protection programmes specific to TRL, contact our touch rugby league insurance expert today.

Public liability and professional indemnity insurance

This liability insurance is tailored to provide cover for the administration, promotion, organisation and conducting of touch rugby league. Provided an organisation is only involved in sanctioned TRL Australia activities, through affiliated TRL franchises, they will not generally require any additional public liability cover. Should a club operate other sports, outside TRL, they may require additional insurance protection for this operation.

Professional indemnity provides legal liability for accredited coaches and officials, arising from a breach of their professional duty, error or omission.

Personal accident

This cover is implemented to provide specified benefits to members if they are injured whilst participating in sanctioned TRL Australia events. Excellent value premiums have been achieved through conducting a full sporting risk analysis, premium pooling via a national program and assistance in implementing good risk management procedures. Whilst this summary of cover outlines what can be considered the 'standard' benefits and sums insured, we would strongly encourage all participants to take out Private Health, Life and Income Protection Insurance according to their own individual circumstances.

Property insurance program

Gallagher, in conjunction with TRL Australia, has developed a tailored policy wherein all TRL offices, clubs, and sporting centres are invited to join a comprehensive policy to cover your equipment, office or property. Not only does this policy include the standard covers, it also includes additional benefits and cover limits over and above what the standard policy includes.

Certificate of Currency

To request a Certificate of Currency, please contact us on 1800 SPORT 0 or

Claims information

How to make a personal accident claim
All claims should be lodged at least within 30 days of the date of injury. When a player or official is injured and wishes to submit a claim the following procedure needs to be followed:

  • Report your injury to your TRL Ground Official.
  • Obtain a specialised sports injury claim form from the download section or by calling 1800 SPORT 0 (1800 776 780) or emailing
  • Arrange for your treating doctor to complete the “Doctors Statement”.
  • Arrange for your TRL Manager to complete the “Declaration”.
  • If claiming for loss of income, have your employer complete the “Employer Statement”.
  • Send your fully completed claim form to the below:
  • TRL Australia Claims

GPO Box 1113

Fax: (07) 3367 5100

How to make a public and professional liability claim

It is essential that you notify Gallagher on 1800 SPORT 0 (1800 776 780) of any potential claim. Gallagher will then provide you with advice as how to proceed.

Q1 Non-members or members playing in non-sanctioned events, or overseas players

Are non-members or members participating in non-sanctioned events, covered by the TRL Australia National Insurance Program?

No. Any participant in an event (including social events) who is not a registered, is not insured. If any member participates in an event that is not sanctioned by TRL Australia or the Affiliated TRL Franchise, they too are not insured and must check the insurance offered by the event organiser. 

Q2 Emergency transport expenses

What is the process for claiming for emergency transport expenses?

  1. Incident occurs (club / organiser will have a log of the incident and is responsible for submitting incident report to Gallagher).
  2. Transport provided / Player is billed by transport provider.
  3. Player claims via private/public insurance (depending on State) in first instance. Private/public insurance may not cover full cost of transport which can then be claimed against the TRL Australia personal accident policy.
  4. Gap between private/public insurance can be claimed against the personal accident policy. The personal accident cover is conditional on the event incident reports/logs being received from Organisers.
  5. Claim for emergency transport occurs after account with transport provider has been settled.

Players are encouraged to settle their account directly with the transport provider before seeking reimbursement through the personal accident policy. This will ensure that the player does not incur penalty charges. However, the insurer can pay the emergency transport provider directly, under the following circumstances.

When private / public insurance exists: once player has claimed via private / public insurance, the benefit statement and emergency transport invoice can be lodged with the personal accident claim and the insurer will settle the gap directly to the transport provider. 

Q3 Medicare gap

Does this insurance cover the ‘GAP’ between the cost of medical treatment and the Medicare rebate e.g. physicians, surgeons, anaesthetists?

No. Government legislation does not allow it. This policy cannot by law cover medical expenses that are covered by Medicare, including the gap between the expense and the Medicare rebate. However, if an injured TRL member is covered by private health insurance, the personal accident policy will pay the balance above the private health insurance refund on expenses not claimable through the Medicare system, subject to the percentage reimbursement, the limit per injury and the excess applicable.

Q4 Weekly benefits – timeframe for payment

If I am eligible, what is the ongoing timeframe for payments of the weekly benefit?

Once the initial paperwork has been received and processed and the benefit has been deemed as available to your situation, we will request that you provide a doctors certificate outlining the dates that you are away from your employment and the condition from which you currently suffer. This certificate must not be longer than 4 weeks away from work and must be provided every 4 weeks.

Q5 Expenses timeline

My injury seemed to be okay, so I continued playing. 13 months later I require surgery, can I claim?

No. Any expense incurred more than 12 months from the initial date of injury is not covered. You also require medical advice to return back to playing.

Get the latest industry and
insurance news in your inbox.