Skate Australia

Skate Australia

Gallagher is extremely proud to be appointed as the risk management and insurance broker to Skate Australia.

Gallagher has been working with the sporting industry for more than 30 years. This experience has enabled Gallagher to develop insurance risk mitigation programmes that identify and address exposures specific to the sport of skating.

The activities conducted during the development of a unified sports insurance program are exciting, but often intricate, complex and extensive. Gallagher recognise the importance of working alongside our clients to develop an insurance solution that addresses your physical, legal and financial risks. We are committed to aligning our services with the Skating community, assisting to achieve your goals and objectives with the least amount of impact on your day to day activities

Find out more

Let our dedicated client services team talk to you about insurance and risk protection programmes specific to Skating, contact our Skating insurance expert today.

Skate Australia: Public liability and professional indemnity insurance

This liability insurance is tailored to provide cover for the administration, promotion, organisation and conducting of Skating. Provided an organisation is only involved in sanctioned Skate Australia activities, they will not generally require any additional public liability cover. Should a club operate a full time Skating Rink they may require additional insurance protection for this operation.

Professional indemnity provides legal liability for accredited coaches and officials, arising from a breach of their professional duty, error or omission.

Skate Australia: Personal accident

This cover is implemented to provide specified benefits to skaters if they are injured whilst participating in sanctioned Skate Australia events. Excellent value premiums have been achieved through conducting a full sporting risk analysis, premium pooling via a national program and assistance in implementing good risk management procedures. Whilst this summary of cover outlines what can be considered the 'standard' benefits and sums insured, we would strongly encourage all participants to take out Private Health, Life and Income Protection Insurance according to their own individual circumstances.

Skate Autralia Association liability program

This policy provides cover to participating affiliated state, league and incorporated club bodies. The cover extends to any natural person who has been, now is or shall become an elected director or trustee, elected or appointed officers, employee or committee member (whether or not salaried) of the insured and any natural person acting in a voluntary capacity on behalf of the insured and at the specific direction of such organisations.

Property insurance program

Gallagher, in conjunction with Skate Australia, has developed a tailored policy wherein all Skating clubs, leagues and rinks are invited to join a comprehensive policy to cover your equipment, office or skating rink property. Not only does this policy include the standard covers, it also includes additional benefits and cover limits over and above what the standard policy includes.

Certificate of Currency

To request a Certificate of Currency, please contact us on 1800 SPORT 0 (1800 776 780) or

Claims information

How to make a personal accident claim

All claims should be lodged at least within 30 days of the date of injury. When a skater or official is injured and wishes to submit a claim the following procedure needs to be followed:

  • Obtain a specialised sports injury claim form from the download section or by calling 1800 SPORT 0 (1800 776 780) or emailing
  • Arrange for your treating doctor to complete the “Doctors Statement”.
  • Arrange for your club to complete the “Club Declaration”.
  • If claiming for loss of income, have your employer complete the “Employer Statement”.
  • Send your fully completed claim form to the below:

Skate Australia Claims
GPO Box 1113



Fax: (07) 3367 5100

Gallagher will send to Skate Australia / State Administrator for confirmation of membership registration details.

How to make a public and professional liability claim

It is essential that you notify Gallagher on 1800 SPORT 0 (1800 776 780) of any potential claim. Gallagher will then provide you with advice as how to proceed.

Are non-members or members participating in non-sanctioned events, covered by the Skate Australia personal accident insurance?

No. Any participant in an event (including social events) who is not a registered Skate Australia member, is not insured. If any Skate Australia member participates in an event that is not sanctioned by Skate Australia, they too are not insured and must check the insurance offered by the event organiser. If you are unsure, or require single event insurance to compete in a non-sanctioned event, simply contact us for an individual policy for your needs.  

Why am I not covered for the 'Medicare Gap'?

General insurers in Australia are prohibited by the National Health Act of 1953 from making any payment on any expense for which a Medicare benefit is paid or is payable including the balance of monies due or payable by you after deduction of any Medicare benefits or rebate from the actual expenses incurred. This is commonly referred to as the 'Medicare Gap'

Why does my sports insurance cover differ from my friends coverage under his sports policy?

Sports policies do vary. One insurer’s policy will not necessarily cover the same as another insurer’s. The terms, conditions and exclusions can differ. An expense covered by one company’s policy may not be covered by another company’s policy. The sport will generally have the opportunity to select the amount of cover it requires – obviously for adjustments in premium. However, personal accident insurance provided to members is meant as a benefit for being part of the association. It is not designed to replace ones income, or provide unlimited medical cover. 

My team or league are looking to compete overseas, are we insured?

If you are competing in a Skate Australia / FIRS sanctioned event, your personal accident policy will provide up to $3,000 in medical expenses cover. However, if you are travelling overseas, you must take out a tailored sports travel policy. As any medical expenses overseas will be far greater than $3,000, and you are subject to many other risks such as flight cancellation, sickness, hire vehicles or lost luggage etc.

Simply contact us with details about your trip, and we can assist you individually. 

Now that I have retired from playing, I think I might get that bad knee I injured in 2010 operated on. That will be covered won’t it?

Generally, no. Policies have a maximum period after the date of injury in which treatment needs to be undertaken for expenses to be covered. This is 12 months from the date the injury occurred.

How does my club or association obtain a certificate of currency for our public liability cover?

Simple. You need only contact us at Gallagher and explain you are an affiliate of Skate Australia and we will confirm, and arrange this for you immediately.

Does my club or association require any other liability insurance?

If your skating rink, club or association is only involved in Skate Australia sanctioned activities you will not require any other liability insurance. Should your skating rink, club or association operate a full time business, with activities outside the scope covered by Skate Australia, you may require additional liability insurance for this operation. If you are uncertain about your own situation simply contact Gallagher to discuss this and we will provide individual advice to you.

Our club hires out our facilities to other bodies. Are we insured for this?

If your skating rink, club or association hires out its club facilities to other bodies for activities other than your own, or they are non Skate Australia members, there is a need for you to ensure that all bodies that use your facilities have their own liability insurance. This should be confirmed by the other body supplying a certificate of currency for its liability insurance as proof of its validity. This certificate must show that participation is covered for the sport they are conducting. The insurance program will protect you as the property owner but not for activities that take place at your facilities that are not organised or held by your club or association.

I am a club/league administrator. Do I need to tell our members what their insurance cover is?

This is perhaps more of a legal question than an insurance question, but certainly good risk management practices would ensure that every member be advised exactly what benefits they have under the sports injury insurance program. There have been examples of litigation taking place claiming a breach of duty of care in not advising members in this regard. Some sports have seen fit to include appropriate wording in their registration forms, which addresses this exposure.

If I am eligible, what is the ongoing timeframe for payments of the weekly benefit?

Once the initial paperwork has been received and processed and the benefit has been deemed as available to your situation, we will request that you provide a doctors certificate outlining the dates that you are away from your employment and the condition from which you currently suffer. This certificate must not be longer than 4 weeks away from work and must be provided every 4 weeks.

Get the latest industry and
insurance news in your inbox.